2 sisters and Their Mutt!

Monday, July 23, 2012

Welcome Anika Florence-Marjorie Retka!

 






A little over a month ago we welcomed Anika Florence-Marjorie Retka into our family. She weighed 7lbs10oz and was 19 inches long. She arrived exactly 2 weeks early on June 15th, 2012 at 7:11pm.





Most people want to hear a little of the labor story, so I'll give a few details.  On June 15th my water broke at 2am. My parents came out to our house to take care of Myah. We arrived at the hospital at 4am. After walking the halls with little success, I was induced at 11am. By 4pm I was ready for an epidural and had a few hours of rest before Anika arrived. There were a few laughable moments throughout the day, feel free to ask and I will fill you in. We came home on Sunday, June 17th (Father's Day).

Overall, we had a wonderful stay at Ridgevew in Waconia and were thankful for the caring and experienced staff, particularly our labor nurse, who was incredibly patient, kind, and knowledgeable.

It is amazing to think about how many changes we have gone through in the last month.






Ani continues to grow and fill out. At 5 weeks old she weighs 11lbs 8oz. She is now able to sleep a little longer at night, and has slept in 6 or 7 hour stretches occasionally. Most nights Josh stays up with her until 11 or 12 and gets her down and then I'm up with her sometime between 3 and 4. Right now she spends a lot of time eating and sleeping, but, occasionally she will wake up and open up her beautiful blue eyes and take in the world. She is a also a huge snuggle bug and would prefer to cuddled and held all day long vs. anything else. It is quite sweet.




Myah is getting used to the idea of being a big sister and trying her best to figure out to be gentle with her little sister. She is just a tad jealous at times, especially if I am feeding her or either one of us is giving Ani our full attention. But, it's getting easier as we all figure out that new relationship :) Myah is having a great summer. She continues to go to "school" (aka daycare) Monday through Wednesday. Thursdays and Fridays Grandma Jeneal comes out to play with Myah and give me a little break. Myah is talking more and more and is getting funnier and funnier by the day. The other day the dog ate a few of her teddy grahams. She looked at Addie very seriously, shook her finger and said, "That was a bad decision Addie".


I am taking advantage of my maternity leave as much as possible. Most days I try to have something planned, a walk with a friend, a visit to great-grandmas, or a trip to Target. It's amazing how fast day of a short activity, nursing, changing diapers and picking up the house goes. But, I must say, it is nice to have the summer off. Although it has been hot, it makes it easier to get an infant outside when you don't have to bundle them up and worry about freezing your butts off outside. I have been trying to bike in the evenings and weekends. Myah is finally starting to enjoy the Burley trailer and enjoys coming with me sometimes. It does get a little hot in the Burley, so hot, that Myah requested that I turn on the "A/C" the other day. Ha!




Josh is doing well, too. He is training for a half-marathon in August. We are both looking forward to when his sister and her family visit us for a week in early August!

In the next few weeks I will update the blog with Ani's 1 month photos. We should also have some cute one of Myah and the family :)

I hope all is well with you and your family and that you are enjoying your summer and keeping cool.

The best way to reach me over maternity leave is at katy.retka@gmail.com or on facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment